Taos is beautiful: high desert at 7400 feet, amazingly blue blue skies, clear, dry air, mountains that soar to 13,000 feet: dark green with trees with occasional splashes of vibrant gold from the aspens. Genuinely friendly people who love where they live and want you to love it too (but not enough to move there, just visit). And terrible, terrible drivers. They think that the speed limit is just a suggestion, and not a very good one at that. Why, what is the point in going 65 on that state highway when you can go 80?
Have I mentioned the food?? Northern New Mexican food is some of the best food I have ever tasted: blue corn tortillas, chile relleno stuffed with zucchini and corn, great local beer (Santa Fe Brown Ale, oh yeah).
But back to the drivers for a minute. It is ironic to me that even though NM has some terrible drivers, the woman that plowed into our back end (going at least 45 in a 15 zone) was from Colorado. Who knows, maybe Colorado drivers are even worse -- we were only in Colorado for about half an hour this trip so I can't say for sure. All I know is that we drove home from vacation in a 2010 Chevy Impala (aka the land yacht) and still don't know how much the insurance is going to give us for my little Rabbit (I LOVED that car, dammit!)
It will certainly be a remembered vacation. And every time I look at the photos of the aspen trees and the mountains and my car I will curse the Colorado driver and at the same time be thankful that I had a wonderful week away.
No comments:
Post a Comment